22-year-old job seeker mistakenly declared dead

In November, the family of Tyler Chase received notification that he had died from a drug overdose. Three months later, they learned the truth: the body that was cremated in his name was not his. Chase had been staying at a rehab center and was sober for several months. One day, when he tried to use his food stamps at a department store, he realized his credit card was no longer active. This led him to suspect something was wrong, as he was desperately seeking employment.

When Chase went to authorities to resolve the issue, he was informed that a death certificate had been filed in his name. He contacted the Portland Police, who went to the rehab center where he was staying to investigate the situation. Ultimately, it was discovered that a man living at the rehab center died from an overdose and was mistakenly identified as Chase. His family was mistakenly notified of his death and the body was cremated without being properly identified.

Chase‚Äôs cousin, Tasha Rosales, initially thought this news was a hoax and raised over $1,000 for his cremation. However, when she saw the urn with her cousin’s ashes inside, she knew it wasn’t a prank. The entire ordeal led her to raise awareness about addiction and its devastating effects on families. Multnomah County spokesperson expressed deep regret for the misidentification and new procedures were put in place to prevent such errors from happening again.

Chase eventually found work in Portland helping homeless people and noted how easily he could have met the same fate if it wasn’t for his sobriety journey at rehab center.

By Editor

Leave a Reply